POSITION: BILINGUAL IMMIGRATION PARALEGAL (Hybrid Position)
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian and Pacific Islander communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration/citizenship, housing, domestic violence, public benefits and civil rights.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Immigration Paralegal will work alongside our team of immigration attorneys. This hybrid position will start with a 6-month probationary period to determine fit. The paralegal will be required to 2-3 in-person days at the ALA office in San Jose, California, for team meetings, client appointments, and case preparation. The paralegal will provide administrative and legal support on complex cases, primarily removal defense and asylum. The paralegal will also work on cases including, but not limited to, naturalization, DACA, adjustment of status, and work permits. Duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Conducting initial client intakes and follow-up meetings
- Providing interpretation and document translation for client meetings, case preparation, immigration interviews and court hearings
- Preparing and filing immigration forms as well as analyzing and organizing supporting evidence
- Conducting legal and non-legal research in support of complex immigration matters
- Inputting and updating client and case information in online case management system
- Bilingual in English and either Spanish, Vietnamese, or Mandarin required
- Must have demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the needs of the low income immigrant community
- Must have strong verbal, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Must have familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must have excellent attention to detail and ability to work under pressure
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings and/or weekends
- California driver’s license and own vehicle required for local candidates
- Required to be fully vaccinated with FDA-approved Covid-19 vaccine prior to first day of employment.
COMPENSATION: Salary $60,000 to $67,780 DOE. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision plans; sick leave; paid vacation; 403(b) plan; and flexible spending plan.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resume to Bea Pangilinan, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Asian Law Alliance is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.