Civic/Voter Engagement Community Organizer (Full-time)
The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian/Pacific Islander and immigrant communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration, housing, domestic violence, public benefits, civil rights and voting rights.
The ideal candidate will be passionate and committed to ALA’s mission to serve and empower immigrant communities through community-based organizing, education, outreach and leadership building. The community organizer will work with staff, volunteers and other partner organizations to grow and improve the representation of the immigrant community in Santa Clara County through voter registration, voter education, and other community organizing efforts. The candidate will primarily manage the voter engagement work while also collaborating with other team members on all other advocacy projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Organize voter engagement events including voter registration drives, education forums, canvassing and other community events both in-person and on virtual platforms
• Register and educate potential voters at events, community sites and through individual door-todoor engagement in immigrant neighborhoods
• Recruit, train and supervise volunteers for advocacy can outreach projects including but not limited to voter registration, poll monitoring, redistricting, and anti-racism, and Stop AAPI Hate advocacy
• Provide non-legal support including organizing and advocacy for pending litigation related to redistricting and voter representation
• Participate in mandatory trainings on voter registration, voter outreach, voter rights, and other electoral issues
• Participate in any and all other ALA civic engagement advocacy projects surrounding immigrant rights and civil rights issues including but not limited to racial and social justice, racial violence, and Stop AAPI Hate advocacy
• Organize and execute community education and outreach campaigns on various platforms including but not limited to ethnic media, social media, Zoom, and Youtube
• Work with the civic engagement team to organize trainings and leadership summits for the community and civic engagement coalition partners
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Experience conducting presentations to immigrant and limited English proficient communities preferred
• Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent public speaking and communication skills
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated willingness and ability to follow guidelines to complete required tasks
• Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
• A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical; dental; and vision plan; sick leave, 403(b) plan, Flexible spending plan, paid vacation and holidays.
Includes some weekends and evenings; must be available on National Voter Registration Day and Election Day.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email to Dorothy Hwang at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply:
Open until filled
Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, especially individuals from immigrant and refugee communities. People of color, immigrants, women, LGBTQ persons, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to seek employment at ALA.