POSITION: Community Engagement Coordinator (Full Time)
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian and Pacific Islander communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration/citizenship, housing, domestic violence, public benefits and civil rights.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Community Engagement Coordinator will work alongside legal and non-legal staff to develop and implement education and outreach plans focusing on the API immigrant community. They will need to stay up to date on current issues and needs within the immigrant community in order to appropriately and effectively tailor the substance and method of outreach to meet those needs. This will include executing community education and outreach through social media as well as other forms of ethnic media. The coordinator will work with ALA staff to develop strategies for impactful messaging through all forms of outreach. They will also be responsible for recruiting and coordinating all volunteers for ALA and ALA sponsored events which may require anywhere from 10 to 200 volunteers for a single event. The Community Engagement Coordinator will be part of ALA’s Civic Engagement team and will report to the Civic Engagement Supervising Attorney.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Building a network and developing strong relationships with other community-based organizations, educational institutions and faith-based groups to plan events and deploy teams for different activities
- Developing and implementing effective education and outreach work plans to address issues in the API community
- Recruiting and coordinating volunteers for ALA programs such as weekly intakes, immigration clinics and other ALA sponsored events, as well as managing volunteers at large-scale citizenship and immigration workshops
- Planning and executing the ALA newsletter, social media and other ethnic media strategies along with creating and distributing outreach materials for upcoming events and relevant issues related to immigrants’ rights, public benefits, domestic violence, affordable housing, etc.
- Conducting community education presentations on various topics as well as trainings for volunteers and other community members
- Completing other administrative tasks as needed and assigned by the Executive Director
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the immigrant, refugee and low-income communities
- Strong written and verbal communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Office and willingness to learn to use online databases
- Knowledge in or willing to learn how to work with social media, website management, creation of videos and other promotional material, traditional media and other forms of outreach
- Must be flexible to occasionally work evenings or weekends
- Bilingual skills in Vietnamese, Spanish, Chinese or other Asian Language desirable
- California driver’s license and own vehicle required
COMPENSATION: Salary depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision plans; sick leave; paid vacation; 403(b) plan; and flexible spending plan.
HOURS: Hybrid with 1-2 days in person at the office or at community events; Includes some weekends and evenings
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resume to Bea Pangilinan, Deputy Director, at email@example.com.
Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing the skills
and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, especially individuals from immigrant and refugee
communities. People of color, immigrants, women, LGBTQ persons, and persons with disabilities are
encouraged to seek employment at ALA.