Asian Law Alliance Voter Engagement Video Contest
We received videos in English, Spanish, and Mandarin. Congratulations to the winners of each language category!
Winning videos, as well as other ALA videos, are in bit.ly/ALAYouTube .
To encourage voter participation, the Asian Law Alliance is holding a video contest where contestants create original video contents that promote voter participation. The description and rules of the contest are as follows.
- AGE: Contestants must be at least 16 years of age and be residents of California. A contestant who is younger than 18 years of age must have the Parental Consent and Release form filled out and signed by his or her parent or legal guardian.
2. LANGUAGES: The contest is in seven (7) languages – English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, and Korean. With the possible exception of saying aloud the link registertovote.ca.gov or other references to Web addresses, the video must be completely in one language. There will be one winner in each language. A contestant can participate in one or more languages. If the video is in a language other than English, the contestant must submit a translated transcript in English together with the video.
3. CONTENTS: While we strongly encourage creativity, the video must meet the following requirements.
- The video is created by the contestant.
- The video is no more than 2 minutes long.
- The contents of the video are non-partisan in nature.
- The video must be of one or more of the following themes. (Any combination is fine.)
(a) Why is voting or the right to vote important to me?
(b) Encourage eligible voters to register to vote or update their voter registration records.
(c) Encourage eligible voters to vote in all elections, not just presidential election
- The video must show and mention the link registertovote.ca.gov. (This is the California Secretary of State’s Web page where eligible voters register to vote, re-register to vote, pre-register to vote, or to check the voter’s registration status.)
- All persons whose images or voices appear in the video must be at least 16 years of age.
4. CONSENT FORMS: There are 3 types of consent forms.
(1) Video Consent and Release: Every contestant must submit this form. If the contestant is 18 years of age or older, the contestant must fill out and sign this form. If the contestant is younger than 18 years of age, the contestant’s parent or legal guardian must fill out and sign this form.
(2) Parental Consent and Release: If the contestant is younger than 18 years of age, the contestant’s parent or legal guardian must fill out and sign this form. This is in addition to the Video Consent and Release form mentioned above.
(3) Actor Release Form: If the image or voice of anyone (hereafter referred to as “actor”) other than the contestant appears in the video, that person must fill out and sign this form. If the actor is younger than 18 years of age, the actor’s parent or legal guardian must fill out and sign this form.
5. HOW AND WHAT TO SUBMIT:
- Post the video to contestant’s YouTube account or social media account (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and ensure that Asian Law Alliance has view access and download access of that video.
- Send the following information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
(1) The link to the posting described above.
(2) Language of the video
(3) Contestant’s complete name, email address, mailing address
(4) Indicate whether the contestant is “at least 18 years old” or “16 or 17 years old.”
(5) Translated transcript in English (if the video is not in English)
(6) Send all required signed and completed consent forms as described in the section “CONSENT FORMS” to Asian Law Alliance by email and postal mail as follows.
- Scan or take high resolution photograph(s) of the form(s), and email the image(s) to email@example.com.
- Send the original copy by postal mail to:
Attn: Victor Sin
Asian Law Alliance
991 West Hedding Street
San Jose, CA 95126
6. AUTHORIZATION: By participating in the contest, the contestant expressly grants ALA and its affiliated employees, volunteers, contractors, partner organizations, successors, assignees and designees, all permission and rights to copyright, publish, reproduce, distribute, and use the video, in whole or in part, including any and all images, pictures, actions or voices, for ALA’s voter engagement and voter education work. All contestants must sign the Video Consent and Release Form when submitting any video footage or materials to ALA for this contest.
7. PRIZE: The winner of each language will receive an electronic VISA gift card in the amount of one hundred dollars (US$100.00).
8. DEADLINE: To participate in this contest, all the steps in the section “HOW AND WHAT TO SUBMIT” must be completed by 11:59pm on December 8, 2021. Announcement of winners will be made by December 10, 2021. Due to some issues caused by entries submitted very close to the deadline, the announcement of winners in some language categories may be delayed to December 15, 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience so caused.
9. INELIGIBILITY: Employees of Asian Law Alliance and their family members are not eligible to participate in this contest. Board of Directors of Asian Law Alliance and their family members are not eligible to participate in this contest. Advisory Board members of Asian Law Alliance and their family members are not eligible to participate in this contest.